About The Byrd Theatre
The Byrd Theatre was built in 1928 in Richmond, Virginia as one of the Nations’s Grand Movie Palaces and is both a State and National Historic landmark. Today it serves as an anchor for the quaint Carytown shopping district offering second-run movies for $1.99. And just as in the early days of the Byrd Theatre, you can catch a Saturday night performance of the Mighty Wurlitzer Organ prior to the movie.
The 1300-seat Byrd Theatre, named after William Byrd II, one of the founders of Richmond, is one of the nation's finest cinema treasures. And unlike many opulent theatres that were built during the 1920s and 1930s in the United States, the Byrd Theatre is largely unaltered in appearance or function, operating almost continuously since 1928 as a movie theatre.
In 2007, the Byrd Theatre was purchased by The Byrd Theatre Foundation, a non-profit 501 (c) (3) corporation, with the express purpose of restoring and preserving this theatre as a vital community resource. When the Theatre isn’t being used for second-run movies, the Foundation plans to integrate cultural, educational and community aspects into the Theatre’s programming while still offering movies at reasonable prices.
Learn more about: